The Story Of A Father Who Killed The Karate Instructor That Raped His Son

Gary Plauche, is a Louisiana father who gunned down a karate instructor at an airport more than 20 years ago for kidnapping and molesting his son. Plauche, a salesman and loving father snapped after the thought about the magnitude of what happened to his son, Jody Plauche who was sexually assaulted by his karate instructor, Jeffrey Doucet. On Friday, March 16, 1984, while authorities were escorting Jeffrey Doucet through the airport in Baton Rouge, a man lifted his gun out of nowhere and shot Doucet at point blank range. The man turned out to be Gary Plauche. The judicial system exercised leniency with Gary Plauche by giving him a suspended sentence and probation. He didn’t spend one night in prison for what he had done. Posted By Persist


Leon Gary Plauche (November 10, 1945 – October 20, 2014)[1] was an American man known for the 1984 vigilante killing of Jeff Doucet, who had kidnapped and sexually assaulted his son, Jody Plauche. The killing occurred on Friday, March 16, 1984, and it was captured on camera by a news television crew. Although Plauche shot and killed Doucet, he was given a seven-year suspended sentence with five years probation and 300 hours of community service for the shooting and received no jail time. The case received wide publicity because many people questioned whether Plauche should be charged with murder or be let off. Plauche claimed to believe until his death that he was in the right, and that those in a similar position would have done the same thing.

Gary Plauche lived in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He was separated from his wife June at the time of the shooting. In 1984, his 11-year-old son, Jody Plauche, was taking karate lessons. Jody’s karate instructor, 25-year-old Jeffrey Doucet, had been sexually abusing Jody for at least a year. In February 1984, Doucet kidnapped Jody and took him to a motel in California where he sexually assaulted and molested him. Police searched the country for Jody, and he was eventually found after Doucet allowed Jody to place a collect call to his mother from the motel. California police raided the motel and arrested Doucet without incident.

On March 1, 1984, Jody was returned to his family in Louisiana, but Gary, who was 38 at the time, was struggling with reports that Doucet had sexually assaulted his son. In an interview with a news television crew, Gary said that he did not know what to do and just felt helpless. On Friday, March 16, 1984, Doucet was flown back from California to Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport, also known as Ryan Field, to face trial. Doucet arrived and was led in handcuffs by police officers through the airport at around 9:30 p.m., where Plauche was waiting for Doucet with a gun.

Plauche was friends with several high-ranking police officers in the Baton Rouge Police Department; while many people believed that these contacts told Plauche where and when Doucet would be arriving, it was actually an employee of the TV news station WBRZ-TV who gave Plauche the information. A news television crew was also waiting for Doucet and had set up their cameras to record his arrival. Opposite the news crew was a bank of pay telephones, where Plauche waited while talking to his best friend on a telephone. He wore a baseball cap and sunglasses, so no one recognized him.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.