News broke earlier today that the UFC has finally made an official offer to UFC superstar Nate Diaz for a potential UFC 227 main event super fight with Tyron Woodley. Nate announced earlier that he wanted to return in June / July but the UFC has plans of their own.
ESPN has the full report:
The UFC and Nate Diaz have discussed the possibility of him returning to the Octagon at UFC 227 on Aug. 4, according to sources. Although an official deal remains uncertain, the two sides have at least discussed the August date as recently as last week, sources told ESPN. Diaz (19-11) hasn’t fought since August 2016, when he suffered a majority decision defeat to Conor McGregor in the second bout of a two-fight rivalry. That event produced the fourth-highest MMA gate in the history of Nevada, drawing $7.7 million.
Nate Diaz, who hasn’t fought since dropping a majority decision to Conor McGregor in August 2016, has had discussions on a possible summer return to the Octagon. When reached by ESPN, UFC president Dana White said there is “no update” on Diaz and declined to provide details on any recent discussions. He has repeatedly stated that the promotion has engaged Diaz regarding potential opponents during his hiatus, but nothing has materialized.
Nevertheless, Diaz, 33, has expressed interest in taking a fight this year. In a social media post in January, he wrote, “I’ll see you around May, June.” In February, Diaz told ESPN he was targeting welterweight champion Tyron Woodley as an opponent. White, however, quickly dismissed the idea in multiple interviews.
Whether it comes to fruition or not, UFC 227 would offer an attractive landing for Diaz’s return. The pay-per-view event will take place at Staples Center, in the fighter’s home state of California. A bantamweight title fight between T.J. Dillashaw and Cody Garbrandt has already been announced.